Migraines can be scary. It's estimated that nearly 30 million people suffer from them. I remember wondering if I would die from the pain or worried it might be a brain tumor. I've suffered with them for most of my life. For many years, they rented a few hours and I would get them a few times a month depending on lifestyle and stress. About 10 years ago, I started getting 3 day migraines.
I tried many prescription drugs and none worked or had a list of side effects I refrained to take a chance on experiencing. I finally looked to natural remedies to hopefully cure or at least bring relief. I found several things that helped me and I'd like to share a few with you.
1. Find out what foods trigger your migraines.
Common triggers are; Cheese (dairy), MSG (monosodium glutamate), Chemical additives and preservatives, onions, alcohol, sugar, eggs, and gluten. One of the biggest triggers is caffeine! Yes, that sounds unreal since caffeine can provide relief but it works both ways. If you get migraines, I would eliminate all caffeine first. Do not go cold turkey, take 2-4 weeks and wean yourself off to avoid withdrawal heads.
2. Stay hydrated. Drink half of your body weight in ounces per day of water. More if you exercise.
3.Exercise regularly. Regular exercise Promotes healthy circulation and helps to alleviate depression and anxiety. You'll sleep better at night too.
4. Get enough sleep. We need 6-9 hours every night.
5. Learn to cope with stress in a healthy manner. We can not eliminate all the stressors in our lives but we can learn to manage them. Stress can trigger a migraine.
6. Eat healthy and frequently. Small meals throughout the day are very beneficial for migraine sufferers. Do not skip breakfast! Eliminate processed and fast food.
7. Stop using synthetic perfumes and fragrances on your person and in your home.
8. For women: Find a qualified holistic practicer and work to get your hormones in balance and have your thyroid checked.
If you do experience a migraine, an ice pack wrapped in a towel and placed under you neck will help with pain relief. You can also place it directly on the pain site. I've found Chiropractic care to be helpful. Therapeutic grade essential oils have helped me tremendously. Make sure you only use the therapeutic grade oils since most of these are sold as “pure” really are not and are not to used directly on your skin.
I hope as you try these tips you find relief and healing. Migraines are a terrible ailment to have. Pass on the knowledge!